Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Social networks. The greatest revolution, no?




Why do we join such social networking sites like Facebook?




Why is it that only after joining such sites we realise how it has been swiftly swirling the drain in terms of exciting us?




Facebook was so big a deal that I wanted to join it months ago. But to prevent the distraction and for the fact that SPM was in like only months away, I waited.


And guess what, I joined it during SPM. In between the hectic schedule, the exams and while burning the midnight oil, I decided to do some social networking!


That is what sites like this can do to people. It gets you so hooked.




You don't exactly join it for its main purpose either, that is to make friends, but you just go for it. Why? When after all, friends you make in such sites are your everyday friends. But, of course, this is an exception for some social outcasts who tend to make lots of unwanted friends on such sites because they just can't do it in reality. (I'm just randomly saying this and it's not because I'm trying to point out someone in case any of you terperasaan.)




Face the fact, most of us join these sites mainly to post cute and pretty pictures of us silently wishing some hot guy falls for us.


Again not pointing out anybody, but some like to post pictures of their so-called six-pack thinking that girls might drool over them.


And then, one more thing we love to do, drop stupid, unwanted chain testimonials just to irritate our poor friends.


Or to put up lots of I Am Going To Kill You kind of messages on your boyfriend's profile because he's cheating on you and worse of all, on some innocent girl's profile for stealing your boyfriend which they never did.




Isn't this why most people join social networking sites? When these sites are actually created for better reasons, we misuse them by doing funny things such as showing off how emo or gothic we are. And worse of all, some guys go to the extend of putting a thick layer of eyeliner on themselves in an attempt to look like the My Chemical Romance just to take a picture.


Not pointing fingers, again.




We should be glad such sites like Friendster, MySpace and Facebook were created. They weren't when my mum was at school and the result? She can't possibly remember any one of her friend's names. Which is why when my mum sees a familiar face, I usually stand at a corner pretending to be interested in something stupid, praying desperately that my mum would remember her friend's name.


So be thankful you wouldn't be embarassing your kids in the future and join Facebook!


It's not that great a revolution but certainly outbeats so many other social networks on the Internet.




I'm not exactly having much fun at Facebook though. It makes you selfish. (I typed it as shellfish first. God, I just love stupid typos.)


Where was I? Yes, I'd rather post some birthday grafitti on a friend's wall than calling her up and personally wishing her now. I rather send Christmas wishes through testimonials and fake Christmas presents through Facebook.


So fine, social networking sites do make you into a crappy person but then again.


They are cool. Especially Facebook. Maybe it is a not-so-nice thing to go around giving people bodyslams, putting dryer holes in their underwears, giving them wedgies, stealing their underwears and so on and so forth. But it is certainly fun.


It's not like you can do them in reality, can you?


I just love doing ridiculous things like that.


Wasting time.


Doing pointless stuff just for self-satisfaction.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one.


No comments: